Joint Application for Master's & International Student Captain 2024, and Non-board MISC 2024

Masters & International Student Captain candidate: Amr Abass

Hey everyone!

I’m Amr, and I’m doing my second year in DSD! I am originally from pyramid land (aka Egypt), but have lived most of my life in Oulu, Finland (toripoliisi is our proud landmark). As an individual with a multicultural background and having done my studies in an international school, I have always found myself to thrive in an international community and it is such an integral aspect to my life.

Seeing AS’ operations for both domestic and international students has gotten me passionate about taking part in the AS community, which is why I eagerly look forward to becoming the next Master’s and International Student Captain! With deep experiences in both Finnish culture and fluency in international affairs, my main mission is to bridge the gap between the domestic and international community. During my fuksi year I have gotten to see how much AS does for its international community through events and a more inclusive dialogue and I have gotten to contribute to it myself as a member of the AS International committee. I can’t wait to advance this aim as MISC while also improving the experiences of international and exchange students through open communication with the students and the board.:handshake:

Alongside working towards integrating international and exchange students to Finnish student life and the amazing traditions that come with being an Aasi, I aim to ensure that students (whether they are international or not!) make the best memories during their time in AS. That being said, I look forward to creating more events and activities for the international community for AS, but also facilitate an inviting and exciting atmosphere for both the domestic and international students to have fun and connect! Therefore, I can’t wait to employ the AS international committee alongside the DSDeputy to fuel the international spirit of AS and increase international engagement in the guild :earth_africa:.

As MISC, I also look forward to being the voice of all international things related, where I hope to use my abilities alongside the AS board to improve international experiences. I am also excited to develop international operations with the new non-board MISC position - I believe Lotta Hannelius would make a great non-board MISC and partner, as she’s very determined with promoting a fun atmosphere and her creativity with her work and activities always go beyond limits, which is the best! Being a MISC definitely comes with its set of responsibilities, and I am very eager to not only embrace the experiences I get from this role but also the fun and amazing memories that come from it. Overall, I want to use my role as MISC to also be the voice of AS on the international side. From inner AS events to inter-guild events with KVTMK, I aim to fuel the inner Aasi spirit of the AS international community. I will truly be proud of my work when I see international and exchange students screaming “AIVAN SAMA!” from the top of their lungs :purple_heart:.

Once in AS, always in AS, and I cannot wait to spread that spirit during my time as MISC.

Who? Amr - TG: abassamr (Contact me if you have any questions!)

What? Master’s and International Student Captain 2024

Why? Ignite AS spirit in the international community, work towards positive change, and create awesome vibes

Otaniemi CV:

• Guild: AS International Committee member 2023, DSD ISO 2023
  • Other:
    • Board member (Trip responsible) of KY-Sub 2023 → My role included organizing the biggest (and the best :wink: ) trips for exchange students
    • Student ambassador for Aalto 2022 & 2023

[SUOMEKSI]

Moi kaikki!

Olen Amr, ja olen toisen vuoden opiskelija DSD:ssä! Olen kotoisin pyramidimaasta (eli Egyptistä), mutta olen asunut suurimman osan elämästäni Oulussa (toripoliisi on ylpeä maamerkkimme). Monikulttuurisena ihmisenä ja kansainvälisessä koulussa opiskelleena olen aina pitänyt kansainvälisistä yhteisöistä, ja ne ovat oleellinen osa elämääni.

AS:n laaja ja monipuolinen toiminta sekä kotimaisille että kansainvälisille opiskelijoille on sytyttänyt minussa intohimon osallistua ja antamaan lisää AS-yhteisöön. Siksi odotan innolla mahdollisuutta toimia seuraavana Master’s and International Student Captainina! Kansainvälisyyteni ja intohimoni myötä, tavoitteenani on kaventaa gäppiä kotimaisen ja kansainvälisen yhteisön välille.

Fuksivuoteni aikana pääsin näkemään, kuinka paljon hauskoja tapahtumia AS järjestää kansainväliselle yhteisölle. Halusin jatkaa ja vaikuttaa myös tuleviin kansainvälisiin tapahtumiin. Tämän johdosta, osallistuin AS:n kansainväliseen toimikuntaan. En malta odottaa, että voin edistää tätä tavoitetta MISCinä samalla kun parannan kansainvälisten ja vaihto-opiskelijoiden kokemuksia avoimella kommunikaatiolla opiskelijoiden ja hallituksen kanssa :handshake:.

Pyrin myös parantamaan kansainvälisten ja vaihto-opiskelijoiden integroitumista suomalaiseen opiskelijaelämään ja hienoihin perinteisiin, joita Aasina oleminen tuo mukanaan. Tavoitteenani on varmistaa, että opiskelijoille jää vain hyviä muistoja ajastaan AS:ssa. Tämän vuoksi odotan innolla, että pääsen järkkäämään tapahtumia ja aktiviteetteja AS:n kansainväliselle yhteisölle sekä luomaan ystävällistä ja mukavaa ilmapiiriä, jotta kaikilla on hauskaa! Lisäksi olen innoissani mahdollisuudesta päästä johtamaan AS:n kansainvälistä toimikuntaa DSDeputyn kanssa ja lisäämään kansainvälistä sitoutumista kiltaan :earth_africa:.

MISCinä odotan myös voivani olla kaikkia kansainvälisiä asioita koskeva tiedottaja, ja toivon käyttäväni osaamistani yhdessä AS-hallituksen kanssa, parantaakseeni kansainvälisiä kokemuksia. Olen myös innoissani kehittää kansainvälisiä toimintoja uuden “non-board” MISCin kanssa - Uskon, että Lotta Hannelius olisi loistava non-board MISC ja partneri, sillä hän on erittäin päättäväinen luomaan hauskaa ilmapiiriä, ja hänen luovuutensa työssä ja aktiviteeteissa ylittää aina rajoja, mikä on parasta!
MISCin rooliin kuuluu varmasti omat haasteensa, ja odotan innolla näitä haasteita sekä niitä hauskoja ja mahtavia muistoja, joita ne tuovat mukanaan.

Yhteenvetona haluan käyttää MISC-rooliani AS:n kansainvälisen puolen äänenä. AS:n sisäisistä tapahtumista KVTMK:n kanssa järjestettäviin tapahtumiin pyrin kohottamaan AS:n kansainvälisen opiskelijoiden sisäistä Aasi-henkeä. Olen todella ylpeä työstäni, kun näen kansainvälisten ja vaihto-opiskelijoiden huutavan “AIVAN SAMA!” :purple_heart:.

Kerran Aasi, aina Aasi, enkä malta odottaa, että pääsen levittää tuota henkeä MISCinä.

Kuka? Amr - TG: abassamr (laita viestiä jos on kysymyksii!)

Mitä? Master’s and International Student Captain 2024

Miksi? Sytytä AS:n henki kansainvälisessä yhteisössä, työskentele kohti positiivista muutosta ja luo mahtavia fiiliksiä yayy

Otaniemi CV:

• Kilta: AS International Committee toimari 2023, DSD ISO 2023

• Muu:

• Hallitusjäsen KY:n kansainvälisessä jaostossa (KY-Sub) 2023 → roolini on reissuvastaava ja järkkään isoimmat (ja parhaimmat :wink: ) reissut vaihtareille!
    • Opiskelijalähettiläs Aallolle 2022 & 2023

Non-board Master’s & International Student Captain: Lotta Hannelius

Heyy everyoone!!

I’m Lotta and I’m a second-year student in Digital Systems and Design. As a dedicated student of the only English bachelors’ program within our guild and someone deeply committed to fostering a vibrant, inclusive, and globally oriented community, I believe I am well-suited for the role of the non-board master’s and international student’s captain alongside my friend Amr.

My choice to pursue studies in the English program, DSD, reflects my genuine enthusiasm for meeting people from diverse cultural backgrounds and embracing new experiences. While I am proficient in Swedish and Finnish, I have deliberately opted for the English program to engage with a broader international community. I have found immense joy in this decision as it has allowed me to connect with individuals from all around the world and forge meaningful friendships. I feel like I get the best of both worlds (que the Hannah Montana intro) since I get to meet all the amazing international students while still being able to enjoy events held in Finnish or Swedish.

However, I’ve observed that many international students within our guild sometimes struggle to fully participate in guild events, despite the incredible opportunities they offer to connect and integrate with our local community. I am deeply motivated to address this issue as I firmly believe that the student culture and social life are integral components of the overall student experience. I don’t think I would have made it this far in my studies without all the amazing friends I’ve made (such as Amr <3), and I feel that everyone should have the chance to take part in the rich student life that we are so lucky to have in AS.

My experience as an active participant in a wide range of events (aka my experience as an active party-goer xd), encompassing English, Finnish, and Swedish gatherings, has granted me unique insights into what can be further improved in the international events that AS offers. We have such a rich student culture and so many fun events. I have enjoyed and embraced the diverse events, and I believe this experience equips me with valuable ideas to enrich the exchange experience and enhance the quality of our English guild events.

My primary goal as the non-board MISC would be to create a welcoming atmosphere that encourages everyone to come together, share experiences, and have fun. I also look forward to overcoming language barriers for international and exchange students (also for domestic students!) in AS events to promote a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere.

Overall, I am eager to take on the non-board position for MISC alongside cooperating with the MISC to work towards fostering an exciting international atmosphere for AS. I truly believe I have what it takes for this position and can’t wait for what is to come with this role!

Thank you for considering my application💜

Who? Lotta - TG: lottaHann (Contact me if you have any questions!)
What? Non-board Master’s and International Student Captain 2024
Why? Create a positive and fun atmosphere for international students, make more diverse events, promote inclusivity.

11 Likes