Hakemus International Student Captainiksi

Hello and greetings!

Who?

My name is Zhibin Yan, a sophomore majoring in Automation and Systematic within Automation Guild. Nowadays you might see me behind the scenes working in the kitchen and working on sitsit for our freshmen and other fellow students as a member of the entertainment committee. When I’m not cooking or decorating places, I will be responsible for documenting our guild events as a member of the AS guilds media committee. Whenever you see a flying drone nearby, it’s mostly me who is perpetuating moments worth remembering and recalling in our university lives. Photos can be seen in AS Gallery. From time to time, you might have spotted me in a recognizable purple overall tutoring, guiding our freshmen and international students around Otaniemi and acquainting them with Finnish and teekkari culture as an international tutor. In this application I’m applying for the Master’s and International Student Captain position on the Board of next year.

Why?

My story began in my freshman year when I participated in the VarASslähtö event and spent a weekend at Vihdin Pirtti where I got to know my fellow freshmen, our ISO captain and other ISO tutors. I also got to know the exchange students from all around the world there. I was surprised to find out how much I enjoyed interacting with both Finnish and foreign exchange students. That has made me become interested in working with other fellow students in the future. I have participated in as many events as possible, both Finnish and English, and I have made a lot of friends along the way. Some of the friendships have even formed into solid friend groups. I also took part in organizing the Liukuhihna 2019 party organized by freshmen, which was a complete success.

Being a member of multiple committees and an international student tutor, I want to pursuit the same success throughout our AS Guild this year, even during this special time. In the ongoing unprecedented situation, the current Freshman committee has developed new ways and methods to bring new students together. This is the path that I want to continue onwards. The growing number of DSD students means the DSD will soon play a bigger role within the AS Guild, and closer cooperation among different studying programme students should be enhanced. As the exchange students and master students interact with English-speaking DSD students more and further, it provides more opportunities for students from abroad to learn more about the Finnish culture without leaving their comfort zone. So do the other students whose major studying programmes are in Finnish. This kind of activity will benefit all parties involved. I believe in the positive promotion of cultural diversity of the student community.

How?

Interacting with international students both in my freshman year and during my KV-tutor period has given me a lot of experience of different people from different backgrounds and how to communicate with them. One thing that stands the most is the high threshold between Finnish speakers and non-Finnish speakers. Therefore, as the Master’s and International Student Captain of next year, the most important goal of mine is to lower the threshold and encourage all the parties, tutors, freshmen, master students and exchange students to communicate with each other and be easily approachable. I will keep an open mind and open heart and treat everybody equally.

Some of the exchange students might be shy and are afraid of interacting with new people from different culture and backgrounds. Keeping an eye on those individuals and giving them a chance to express their opinion and thoughts, making their voices heard, as well as encouraging them to participate in the AYY community. We should always remember and remind others that respect is reciprocal! As a multilingual, I can communicate with different language speakers without breaking a sweat. My mother tongues are Finnish and Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese). I am fluent in English with national language proficiency certificate, and my German and Swedish are at the intermediate level. I believe my ethnic background will benefit the task of MISC.

The second goal is to arrange more English events within the AS Guild. One way of creating a supportive spirit among fellow students is to create activities which are less competitive and more focused on teamwork. I am going to continuously encourage our fellow students to work as team members instead of competitors, emphasizing on winning as a team rather than as an individual.

In the current situation, what might happen in the future is anyone’s guess. But I believe with the AS Guild spirit we can create something great, enjoyable and memorable, like one meme once said:

Kuva2

samma på finska

Kuka?

Olen Zhibin Yan, toisen vuoden automaatio- ja systematiikan opiskelija. Olet saattanut nähdä minut kulissien takana kokkaamassa keittiössä tai koristelemassa sitsitiloja fukseille ja muille opiskelijoille huvitoimikunnan kanssa hattivattina. Kun en ole tekemässä ruokaa tai koristelemassa, olen hoitamassa killan dokumentointia mediatoimikunnan jäsenenä. Mikäli taivaalla näkyy pieni valkoinen drone tai kuulet surisevan äänen, se olen todennäköisesti minä ottamassa kuvia tapahtumista ja muistamisen arvoisesta opiskelijaelämästä. Joitakin kuvia löytyy jo AS Galleriasta! Helpoiten minut kuitenkin tunnistaa tutusta violetista haalarista opastamassa uusia opiskelijoita ja vaihto-opiskelijoita ympäri Otaniemeä ja esittelemässä heille Suomen kulttuuria ja teekkarielämää kv-tutorina. Haen tässä hakemuksessa hallitukseen seuraavaksi maisteri- ja kansainvälisten opiskelijoiden kapteeniksi.

Miksi?

Kaikki alkoi omasta fuksivuodestani, kun osallistuin VarASslähtö -tapahtumaan ja vietettiin viikonloppu Vihdin Pirtillä. Siellä tutustuin killan muihin uusiin opiskelijoihin, ISOpomoon ja ISOihin. Samalla tapasin myös ensimmäistä kertaa vaihto-opiskelijoita eri puolilta maailmaa. Olin itsekin vähän yllättynyt kuinka paljon nautin kanssakäymisestä suomalaisten ja ulkomaisten vaihto-opiskelijoiden kanssa. Tämä on saanut minut kiinnostumaan enemmän opiskelutovereiden kanssa tekemisestä. Osallistuin mahdollisimman moniin suomen- sekä englanninkielisiin tapahtumiin, ja olen verkostoitunut laajasti matkan varrella. Olin myös mukana järjestämässä vuoden 2019 Liukuhihna -tapahtumaa.

Olemalla osallisena useissa toimikunnissa ja kv-tutorina, tavoittelen samanlaista onnistunutta vuotta, kuin minullakin oli fuksivuonna, erikoisesta tilanteesta huolimatta. Näinä arvaamattomina aikoina nykyinen fuksitoimikunta on löytänyt ja ideoinut uusia keinoja ja menetelmiä järjestää uusille opiskelijoille tapahtumia tuodakseen heidät yhteen. Tätä toimitapaa aion jatkaa tulevaisuudessakin. DSD-opiskelijoiden määrän kasvu tarkoittaa, että DSD:lle vakiintuu oma rooli ASkillassamme muiden AIT-opiskelijoiden rinnalla, ja yhteistyö eri pääaineen opiskelijoilla on kannattavaa. Vaihto-opiskelijoiden ja maisteriopiskelijoiden vuorovaikutus englanninkielisten DSD-opiskelijoiden kanssa tarjoaa kansainvälisille opiskelijoille enemmän mahdollisuuksia kokea suomalaista kulttuuria ja teekkarielämää poistumatta kokonaan mukavuusalueeltaan. Myös suomenkieliset opiskelijat voivat näin tutustua muiden maiden kulttuuriin ja opiskelijaelämään. Tällainen toimintatapa on kaikille osapuolille hyödyksi. Uskon kulttuurien monimuotoisuuden olevan eduksi opiskelijayhteisölle.

Miten?

Vuorovaikutus vaihto-opiskelijoiden kanssa ensimmäisenä vuonna sekä nyt kv-tutorina on antanut minulle paljon kokemusta eri kulttuuritaustoista tulevista ihmisistä ja siitä, kuinka heidän kanssaan kommunikoidaan. Yksi asia kuitenkin nousi usein esille, mikä oli keskustelun aloittamisen korkea kynnys suomenkielisten ja ei-suomenkielisten välillä. Seuraavana MISC yksi päällimmäisestä tavoitteestani on alentaa tätä kynnystä ja kannustaa kaikkia osapuolia kuten fukseja, maisteriopiskelijoita, vaihto-opiskelijoita ja muita opiskelijoita käymään yhdessä keskustelua. Pyrin myös olemaan itse helposti tavoitettavissa uusille opiskelijoille. Jotkut vaihto-opiskelijat tai uudet opiskelijat eivät välttämättä aina uskalla liittyä tapahtumaan mukaan, jos heillä on erilainen kulttuuritausta. Ottamalla nämäkin huomioon ja antamalla mahdollisuus mielipiteen ilmaisuun, pyrin antamaan heille yhteenkuuluvuuden tunnetta yhteisössämme. Monikielisyyden ansiosta pystyn kommunikoimaan ongelmitta eri kielten puhujien kanssa. Äidinkielenä suomi ja kiina (sekä mandariini että kantoni), sujuva englanti valtakunnallisella kielitaitotodistuksella ja saksan ymmärrystä jossain määrin. Uskon myös etnisen taustani tuovan hyötyä MISC:n hommaan, sillä minulla on omaa kokemusta olla maassa ihmisenä jonka äidinkieli ei ole maan valtakieli.

Toinen tavoite on järjestää enemmän englanninkielisiä tapahtumia killassamme, mikä toisi toimintaamme mukaan enemmän opiskelijoita. Toinen tapa yhteistyön korostamiseen on opiskelijoiden kannustaminen työskentelemään tiiminä ja voittamaan tiiminä.
Nykyisen tilanteen perusteella, tulevaisuus vaikuttaa epävarmalta ja mitä vain voi tapahtua. Uskon kuitenkin AS-henkeen, jonka avulla voimme silti luoda kaikkea hienoa ja hyvää.

TL;DR:

Who: Zhibin Yan

What: MISC

Why: So that everyone will have great time in our guild

How: Ensuring active communication between parties and creating all welcoming (English) events

More question?: Here or though TG @yanizh

6 Likes